Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ego Is a Child


I sit 
quietly listening 
Gazing out the window
The sound of my breath caresses 
Thoughts  rolling in like dark storm clouds
Contemplating harsh words, and insults - raindrops in my mind
A narrow mind carelessly propelling lightening bolts from unskilled lips
The ego is awake and is sulking in the corner, like a child, asking to be understood
Attempting to shake this illusion, I bid my mind to move in a new direction - scolding the child
I struggle to view myself through foreign eyes, seeking to understand my aggressor
Fingering through lessons in my mind like pages of an encyclopedia
Buddhist elders, words of wisdom, reminding me of unity
the child is gone, or perhaps she might only be hiding
regardless of her location, I feel an easement
Free in clear mind, there is no self
only for a fleeting moment
I am only now
the past
is

gone.