Monday, August 11, 2014

Aspirations of Perfect Speech

I've always been a talker. I have the ability to produce something to say about almost anything and everything. This is not necessarily a good thing.

In Buddhism there is a very important concept called "right speech". It sounds simple, but right speech is not just saying the correct thing at the most ideal time. The concept runs a bit deeper than that.

I prefer the term "perfect speech". In order to have right, or perfect, speech it is necessary to speak with restraint, only when it is profitable, with truth, and wisdom, at the appropriate time. 

Perfect speech is, purposeful, well supported, clear and effective. It is not idle chatter,  second hand information, or gossip. 

Over and over again, there is a quote that I have come across on the internet regarding perfect speech. It reads like a checklist in my mind.
  • Is it true? 
  • Is it helpful?
  • Is it kind? 
  • Is it necessary?
  • Is it the right time?
At first, I would catch most of my imperfect speech after it had slipped from my lips. Recognizing something is wrong is the first step to correcting a problem.

Persevering through these early mistakes has lead me to where I am today. Still far from perfect, but spending much more time listening quietly. 

Although recognizing when I am about to use imperfect speech is getting easier, it feels as if I may be working on perfecting this concept for the rest of my life. 

Two years ago feels like yesterday. I remember drawing reminders on the backs of my hands, desperately trying to remember a simple concept, "Think before I speak. Go over the checklist. Do I really need to say that?"

Quickly I realized that, in a pinch, sometimes it's better just to say nothing at all, especially in moments of frustration. Maybe I knew it all along, but ego can easily obstruct this little truth.

The more I learn about these teachings the more I realize their truths and similarities. 

It's funny. These truths are so obvious, but still manage to remain hidden, as if the answers were here all along, always right in front of me.

This gradual awakening is like standing in the middle of foggy meadow filled with beautiful  flowers. We carelessly stumble around, clumsily trampling the beauty we are unaware is all around us.

Studying the Dharma (or truth) is like a cool breeze, gradually clearing the fog from our minds. The deeper we dive and the more we practice, the easier it becomes to see the beauty that was never far away. 

I don't know if I will ever have perfect speech, but it is something that I will keep striving for. If I ever do get there, it would mean I have lost beginner's mind, which would be another problem all together.