Monday, September 29, 2014

My Friend Change (A Practice of Now)

As I paint my toenails with a calm pink polish, I am amused. From ninja turtles to lip gloss, it's hard to believe what has become of this "awkward tom boy". More evidence that everything changes.

Everything changes. I try to ponder that fact often so I am not caught clinging when my good friend Change stops by to say hello. Sometimes being faced with change can feel difficult, especially when we fear what changes might be waiting for us around the corner. 

There is a practice that I do. It might seem silly and maybe it is, but I feel like any practice that works is worth maintaining.

Becoming a Buddhist has lead me to make many changes in my life, including a reintroduction to a faithful friend, "Change". Change has always been there for me, although I didn't notice him as much before. Change will never leave me, even if I yell or beg him to go.

My Friend Change

I great Change like an old friend, saying "Oh, hello! It's you again," (in my head) whenever I notice change happening. 

When Change brings me something that I do not want, I remind myself that everything is temporary. The same is true when Change delivers something that I am pleased with. Constantly, I remind myself of the impermanent nature of everything I encounter in my day to day life.

I am teaching myself to enjoy every moment fully, so that there are no good or bad moments left to cling to or avoid.