Monday, September 15, 2014

Interruptions (Meditating with Cats)


I have a cat who thinks sitting on a meditation cushion is how I offer her my attention. At first I try to ignore her wailing cries because, "meditation is supposed to be about letting things be as they are without trying to change them". Eventually she wins, and my compassion gets the best of me. . . I am petting the cat..

Rini is delighted, and purrs loudly. She presses her boney shoulders into my hands, digging my fingers more deeply into her fur. I find myself wondering if this is truly a distraction or if it might be possible to be present with an animal, like Rini the Cat. Ignoring her, as she begs for something I normally give freely, seems cruel.

Her desires are so simple. She talks, begs, all the time but normally only wants one of two things - attention or food. Rini seems to be very happy when she has a full bowl and my full attention. She is a simple creature but not dumb. When you look into her eyes you can tell she is thinking and problem solving.

Who am I to deny her something she wants so badly? Rini cannot possibly understand why I would sit motionless, apparently doing nothing, and deny her my available hands.

After giving Rini five minutes of my sitting time, I decide to bring my hands back to their resting place in my lap. At first she nuzzles me all over, trying to will my hands back into motion, but this time Rini does not cry.

I settle my eyes on the wall in front of me and readjust my posture. Rini settles too. She sits beside me on the rug, purring loudly, with her head snuggled into my side. We finish my practice. Everybody wins.


Rini is a ten year old Manx cat. She has always been very affectionate and talkative. She has been with me since she was a kitten and is definitely a member of our family.