Monday, October 20, 2014

Energy or Anxiety? (5 things you can start doing NOW)



Someone once told me that they loved my energy level. Go, go, go. Busy, busy, busy. Always on the move, from one thing to the next. A mover and a shaker, productive, and active.

I don't like the term busy body, but for lack of a better description, that is what I was. Boundless energy, and a strong desire to keep moving. If I wasn't "doing something" I became fidgety and anxious.

Most of my life these actions continued without investigation. I was constantly hyping myself up, feeding on the energy, pushing my limits in every possible way, both mentally and physically.

I didn't see this as a problem. Why would I? I had become a champion of G.S.D. (getting shit done).

There have always been times in my life where anxiety would creep in on me. Little attacks bringing a general feeling on unease, and shortness of breath. Studying the self, examining my every thought, dinging tirelessly at the root of every emotion has lead me to many discoveries about my habitual anxiety.

All that energy, that busyness, it's almost as if I was addicted to the surges of adrenaline. I was constantly hyping myself up, mistaking anxiety for energy. For so long I was blind to the hurt I was causing myself, literally worrying myself ill. Once I realized I had a problem, my next move was clear.

A change was needed. This had to stop.

Photo by the amazing David Rivera - Revolution Photos



When you have less anxiety you will have more energy. Here are five things you should be doing if you are trying to cut down on your anxiety levels.



1. Drop the "what if's".

Examine where your anxiety is coming from. Do not allow yourself to worry over events that aren't even happening yet. If you are worrying over the future your mind is not in the present and you are missing out on this moment. Greet each situation as it approaches. It is not healthy to get wrapped up in the future.

2. Do your best & forget the rest.

Give everything you do 100%. It doesn't matter if you are washing your hair or working on a huge project at work, give everything your all. If you "fail" remember that your best is all you have to give. If you truly tried your hardest there is nothing to be ashamed of.

 Being hard on yourself or getting stuck on what you could have done is not helpful. Nothing will change the past. Every "failure" is a learning opportunity. Let it go and be grateful for the learning opportunity.

3. Do one thing at a time.

"Hello, my name is PadmaKisa, and I am a recovering multitask-er." Another deadly addiction. If you are multitasking you are probably not acting with mindfulness. Give each task your full attention, you will have better results and less errors. Also being mindful is very relaxing, being able to stay calm with each task you take on leaves little room for anxiety to sneak in.

4. Don't try to control everything. 

There will always be situations that are out of your control. It is much easier to be happy when you decide to go with the flow and stop trying to control what is happening around you. Be open each new situation as it arises.

Also don't pretend you can control what other people do, think, and feel. You only have control over one person - you.

5. Get to know your feelings.

Self-study is very useful. Examine the source of your anxiety and have compassion for yourself. Ignoring the problem will not make it go away. Start a journal or talk to someone you trust about your feelings.

Anxiety is an ancient survival tool, that doesn't serve us well in the modern world. Everyone has the potential to feel anxiety as well as the potential to rise above it.