Monday, October 13, 2014

To Sit or Not to Sit (When You are too Busy to Meditate)

I don't meditate much, not in the traditional sense. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, only admitting that this is true. There are occasions where I am able to set aside 10-20 minutes of my day just to "sit" (often meditation is referred to as sitting). When I do find the time, these moments are thoroughly enjoyable.

I'm always on the go. I love my full time job and commute through several towns to and from work most days of the week. I have many hobbies and my husband (who does not meditate) is almost always by my side when I am not working.

Often I hear people say things along the lines of “you can free up 10-30 minutes a day to sit”. I guess it is true, and it all comes down to a choice of what it is you want to have time for.

Although I do not meditate as often as many people would say is necessary, I do have a very strong and constant mindfulness practice. More and more I am finding that I am growing the ability to be present almost anywhere while participating in a variety of activities.

What do I do to stay mindful in a busy life? 

Driving Meditation - I often spend several hours a day driving in the car. While driving I turn off the radio and pay constant attention to what is happening in each moment. I am often saying things in my head along the lines of, "a white car is passing me" or "I am switching into the far left lane". The most important thing here is to recognize when your mind has wandered back to something that happened earlier in your day or what you are planning to do later. When you realize you are not in the present, return to the question – “What's happening now?”

Shower Meditation (also works in the bath) - Pay attention to the sensations of the water on your skin, and the smells arising from your bath products. Listen to the running water, paying close attention to every sense. Feel your fingers scrubbing your scalp, and pay close attention to the gliding motions you make as you wash your body. This is not a time for thinking about what you have to do next, it is another time to enjoy the moment.

Cleaning Meditation - Chores and house work can easily become a great mindfulness practice. Open some windows, and listen to the sounds of nature. It is often helpful to clean in silence but not entirely necessary. Do each chore one at a time, allowing it your full attention.
 Almost any activity can be used as a mindfulness practice. Remember to constantly steer yourself back to the present moment.




In addition to "What's happening now?" another helpful activity is something I call body scans. Scan your body starting with your feet, think about what sensations are in each body part and if they are tense relax them. These are just a few exercises that I use daily to stay mindful.