Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Free thinking

I have always been a learner and a thinker, searching for knowledge, spending countless hours of my childhood with my nose buried in an encyclopedia. 

"Little Me" - the young me, in my earliest years, just out of diapers - loved the word "why". I asked this question constantly, even when being told what to do by my mother and other adults.
This was not a term intended to imply disrespect, although it was often taken that way. I would have always been happy to comply with the requests of my elders, but it has never been in my nature to follow blindly. 

Although the desire to know the meaning behind actions caused me a great deal of trouble growing up, this inquisitive nature has served me well as an adult. 

I still prefer to make decisions and choices with as much information as possible, because even a very small piece of information can sometimes completely change the required that is required.
At my very heart, "Now Me" is not a great deal changed from who Little Me was. Yes, I have evolved and grown in many ways, but when you strip away the illusions that  modern American society provided as I grew up, I am still an eager mind seeking growth and knowledge.
Now Me is still asking Little Me's favorite question - "Why?"